Use the template type Share Links when you want to load just the share links on your website, so that your advocates can refer your services/products.
Advantages of using Share Links
There are several advantages when choosing the POS template for your referral program:
- Perfect for using in a banner, footer, lateral menu or ad when you want to give a quick access to the share links.
- Easy set up and customize through our Design Center.
- Easy to tweak through our Design Center
- Easy to install in your website with our code snippets.
There are also disadvantages when using this type of template:
- Limited to the share links referral tools. Advocates are not able to sign up, review statistics and redeem bonuses. In this case, you should use one of the Full Widget or POS templates
- Limited to the design templates available in our Design Center.
Choosing your template in our Design Center
To choose the template that best suits your needs, go to the Design Center and click on the 'New' button and start creating your new template. The system will start a wizard to help you with this process, there are in total 4 steps to be completed before finishing the process.
Make sure you enter the Name, Description, and Widget Package (if you haven't created a widget package check out this section) before choosing the template. Click on the template type 'Share Links' and select the template that best suits your needs. Once you've selected the template click on the 'Continue' button to go to the next step. The images below show the details.
Configuring the extra settings
In the extra settings section, is where you are able to define configurations related to the referral program's layout and notifications.
In the 'Referral program layout' section, you are able set up the email subject and payout threshold for your advocates.
In the 'Notifications' section is where you decide whether or not to send notifications to your advocates. Choose the notification that you want to include in your program and customize the subject and message to be sent to your advocates. The tags [name] and [account_website_url] will be replaced automatically by our system before sending out the notification email.
Once you've finished with this section, click on the 'Continue' button to go the next step.
Personalizing the template content
Once you've have finished updating the content, click on the 'Save and Next' button to go to the next step.
Previewing and publishing
The preview and publish tab allows you the see a preview of your referral program. To make a change, just scroll up and click edit on the section to be updated.
Once you are happy with all the changes, click on the 'Publish and get me the code' button to get the codes snippets and instructions needed to load the program in your website.
Loading the template into your website using our codes snippets
Once the code is in place, refresh the page in your browser (F5). if everything goes ok, your system should be able to load the program on your refer a friend page. See the image below for more details.
Catching new referrals
So far, we have loaded the referral program in the wesite and placed the code snippet needed to catch new referrals. The next step (3) is to send your customers data to Genius Referrals so that we can track new shares, clicks, referrals and bonuses. We will need only the Name, Last name and Email of your customers. Copy the scripts tags and place them inside and at the end of the 'body' tag in your sign up confirmation page or book now confirmation page, etc. so that we can create a new advocate in our platform. Make sure to replace the parameters CUSTOMER_NAME, CUSTOMER_LASTNAME and CUSTOMER_EMAIL by the proper values. The following is a fully-functional example.
Once the code is been put in place, every time the processCustomer method is called, the code snippet will create a new advocate in your Genius Referrals account. If the new customer is been referred by a friend we will also create a new referral.
Giving bonuses to your advocates
Most of the time, when an advocate generates a new referral he will receive a bonus. This of course will depend on your business rules and the restrictions you have specified in your referral campaign. To give bonuses to the customer's referrer (advocate) you have three options:
- Using our Control Center, you can read how in this post
- Using our SDKs or APIs, you can read more in this post
- Using the code snippets provided on step 5.
We are going to focus here on the third opcion as the other ones have been documented elsewhere. To give a bonus to the customer's referrer, copy the scripts tags and place them inside and at the end of the 'body' tag in your payment confirmation page or wherever you want to give a bonus to the customer's referrer. When tryign to give a bonus the following parameters are available to be sent:
- CUSTOMER_EMAIL: The customer' email (eg. firstname.lastname@example.org). This is a required parameter.
- REFERENCE: Your reference number, could be a payment id, order id, timestamp, etc. This is a required parameter.
- AMOUNT_OF_PAYMENTS: The amount of payments the customer has made on your system. This is an optional parameter and is needed only when you've set up the amount_of_payment restriction on your referral campaign.
- PAYMENT_AMOUNT: The total amount of the payment made in your system. This is an optional parameter and is needed only when you've set up a referral campaign based on percentage.
Make sure to replace the parameters CUSTOMER_EMAIL, REFERENCE, AMOUNT_OF_PAYMENTS (optional) and PAYMENT_AMOUNT (optional) with the proper values. The following example shows the details.
Once a bonus is given to the advocate, he will be able to redeem it as cash, credit or goods. You can review the bonuses section on your Genius Referrals account for more information. Also the post managing bonuses has more information about this topic.