Who should read this tutorial?
This tutorial is for merchants with a Shopify online store. If you want to install a referral program on your Shopify, please continue reading. Otherwise, go to our integration section and find the guide that best fits your needs.
Installing and Configuring
On Shopify's apps store you can find the app 360 ° Referral program Suite.
1. When selecting the "Add app " option. An interface will be shown so you can insert the URL of your store and access it to continue with the installation progress.
2. When you access your store you will be shown the installation option.
3. By clicking on the "Install app" option, a form will be displayed to create your genius referrals account.
3.1 Insert your email and password to access your new referral program. If you already have an account in Genius Referrals when you insert the email it will be identified and you can specify if you want to continue with that account or insert a new one.
4. Select the option "Ok let´s move on!”, then select the payout method and specify how much you want your advocates to get per referral.
5. We continue with the selection of the referral program template.
7. Once the process is completed, a new interface will appear that will serve as a guide to review your referral program, the integration, and all the necessary content to make your program works as expected. Take a moment to review your incentive model, the look and feel of your template and integration option which will give you full control over your new referral program.
Details of the integration
To see the integration's options you can access the Integrations section in the main menu.
Clicking on the Shopify integration will show the details of the integration. You can edit all available options and disconnect the integration if you wish.
Edit integration with Shopify
To facilitate and order the all available options we have 3 sections that we detail below:
On this section, you can select the referral program template, the payout method, the payout options where you can set the limits and the frequency of how you want payouts to your advocates to be processed. You also have the option to modify the message that advocates receive when they receive a discount code.
From this section, you can specify the criteria to be taken into account when processing orders to calculate the value of the bonus that will be granted to your advocates.
Here you can specify the rules that will be taken into account when generating discount codes to payout your advocates. This section works in a similar way to the rules that you can specify in Shopify when creating a new discount code.
Linking your referral program
The next step is to add the navigation link to your main menu or footer to link to the referral program page. Follow the instructions on this page. If everything goes well, you should be able to load the referral program on this new page.
Congratulations! You've completed the first part of this tutorial.
Testing the Referral Program Integration
How do I know if the whole thing is working as expected? To make sure that everything is working okay we are going to run the following scenario:
Scenario: Recommending new prospects to a Shopify Store
In this scenario, we are assuming the following:
- You have a Shopify store that sells t-shirts online.
- You have implemented a referral program with Genius Referrals to allow your customers and visitors to refer your products to friends, family, colleagues, etc.
- On your referral campaign, you are giving $10 to your customers for every qualified referral. A qualified referral is a referral that completes a purchase.
- John Smith is one of your best customers that loves your products and is happy to share your services with his friends, family, colleagues, etc. This is his personal data:
- Name: John
- Lastname: Smith
- Email: email@example.com
- John refers his friend Matt so that he can buy new t-shirts in your store. This is his personal data:
- Name: Matt
- Lastname: Hanks
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- John receives $10 bonus once Matt has completed a purchase
The following image represents that referral flow that we will be testing:
Testing that John can share services anywhere he wants
Testing that the referral (Matt) has been successfully created
Once John has shared the services with Matt, Matt will click on John's share link and will land on your store. Matt will browse your product, add some to the cart and finally pay for the products. Once Matt has completed a purchase, a new referral will be generated on Genius Referrals. To check if the new referral has been created, go to your advocate's section on Genius Referrals. You should be able to see Matt on the list.
Testing that a bonus is given to John once Matt has completed a purchase
Now we need to check if the advocate (John) receives a bonus once the referral (Matt) completes his purchase. To test this, Matt has to complete a purchase, once a purchase is completed John should receive a $10 bonus on Genius Referrals. Check the images below.
To check if the bonus was given to the advocate on Genius Referrals, go to your bonuses section. You should be able to see John's new bonus on this page.
On this scenario, every time a referral (Matt) completes a purchase on your store, the advocate (John) will receive a new bonus.
Testing that bonuses are redeemed as Discount Codes.
To redeem bonuses as discount codes, the advocate (John) must access the Redemptions section in the Referral Program and execute the following steps:
1. Log in the Referral Program.
2. Go to the Redemptions section, where the bonuses that you have available is shown, the option to send new redemption requests and at the end the redemption history.
3. Since John has $10.00 bonuses available, he will create a redemption request to obtain a $10.00 discount code.
In the end, when the redemption request is completed, the advocate (John) receives a message via email with the $10.00 discount code that can be used on your store.
That's all. If everything here has gone well, your referral program works correctly.